Monday, May 16, 2011

Final Milne Post

I know, I know, I'm really sad too. Actually, quite sad. Super sad. But, we must keep a stiff upper lip and continue on! Ummmm...so, before we start I should probably admit something. I should probably admit that I don't remember a ton from this lecture. I'm sorry. I'm going to try really hard but...it's a little fuzzy. I have the quotes! But this wasn't a super quote intensive session. OH WELL. We shall forage ahead regardless of any memory obstacles.

Without further ado about nothing...I present: London right before the Great Fire and immediately afterwards.

First we have a basin! And it's filled with nasty algae water! Woot! This particular basin is from...Egypt? I think it was a gift to London. Shoot. Don't believe anything I say about that. I want to say that it was either from Egypt or Norway. If it was Norway then it was given out of gratitude to St. Olaf of Norway who helped the English somehow? I'm sorry, I'm messing this all up. Dang it. Let's move onto the next picture!


This, this is a wall! Yay! We've seen a lot of the old Roman wall on our adventure through London history and archaeology, so it's really fitting that we wound up back by it again in the end.


Also, being near the wall led to this moment.

"This is part of the Roman Tower and that is a mallard. Which is more interesting? See, there's the male and there's the female... *Duck impression*"

What? Professor Milne did an impression of a duck? Hell yes he did. That man quacked like...like an angelic chorus of human-ducks. It was truly a beautiful moment. The next picture captures that moment, kind of, because the duck is in the picture. However, I'm pretty sure that you would have to be Superman's optometrist to see it (I'm assuming that Superman's optometrist would have especially good eyesight. Why? Because screw logic it's finals season!)

Did you see the duck? Liar, of course you can't, I can't zoom properly. This next picture is in the courtyard of a church. Which church? I really don't know.

I can tell you that this next thing is a piece of old Roman road on the side of the church! Why is there? Ummmm, if you were a church that got it's hands on a bit of old Roman road I'm pretty sure you'd past it to the side of your building too. Duh.

Oh! This next thing is pretty cool! Ok, so, it is a part of an...Iraqi(?) tablet. What's an Iraqi tablet doing on the side of a church in London? How did the church even get the tablet? Dude, it's so cool. Guess who gave it to the church. I will give you a hint. That person went to the church. Ha ha, sorry, that was a terrible hint. IT WAS AGATHA CHRISTIE'S SECOND HUSBAND: Max Mallowan. Oh snap, it turns out that Agatha Christie married an archaeologist and they attended this church. Then, when he had this tablet he apparently decided that the church totally needed a tablet from Iraq. So what does the tablet say?

[Reading, while tracing along with a finger] "If you read this [the tablet] it says quite clearly 'On the 4th of March _______ walked up the road and sold a bust of wheat for £2.40.' Well...not really...probably."


Oh look! Another church! I don't remember which one it is!

I think it has something to do with Mary...maybe? Shoot. I'm sorry. If I figure it out or am told by someone who knows I will include an edit.

I do recognize this pretty little structure though! It's another place of worship. A cathedral, in fact. St. Paul's Cathedral! And this is the view from the top of a shopping structure. It's a very lovely view. If you couldn't tell...



Getting up to the tower we all had to crowd into this elevator. Now, the elevator was pretty large, but then so is the class.

[Whole class crowded into elevator *Milne holds the door open for a random dude*]
Random dude: "Friendly group..."
[Random dude leaves]
Milne: "Well, we're not friendly."

It's true. We were way more vicious than friendly.

More St. Paul's Cathedral. I really liked the view from this street. There was something about this street. I think the buildings look a lot like the buildings would have after the fire? Except for the top floor? Dang it. BRAIN WHY DO YOU HATE ME?

It's a gate! I think that gate was moved from somewhere else to this present location. Um. I'm not totally sure where it was from, or what time period. But. It's a gate.
Buildings made of bricks charred by the fire! I think. The Great Fire. Of 1666. It supposedly started in a bakery one night and then spread and consumed London in a very short period of time. Apparently only six people were responsible for planning the rebuilding of London after the fire. Between the time of the fire and 1675, around 9000 homes were built. (I think) Crazy!

This a picture of St. Paul's Cathedral! It was designed by Christopher Wren. I think he's one of my dad's favorite architects. Probably because he's Rick Steves's favorite London architect. He was a pretty cool dude though. When wandering around London with the father, he kept pointing out churches designed by Christopher Wren. Including the church that inspired the wedding cake! YES!


Ok, wow. I can't believe this is our last Milne post. :( Damn. There is one more picture that I will need to post. It is a great picture. But, alas, I don't currently have it. But once I get it I will post it! For sure! I would wait to include it in this post but I feel like I've been negligent enough! So, enough! Here it is! Real content!

Much love and cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment