Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weekend Update

Hullo!

Sorry for not having anything terribly exciting to report, this weekend was pretty chill. Well, that's kind of a lie. Friday was actually pretty awesome. Ok, REALLY awesome. We got to meet the UCL neuro students over some pints, which wound up being really fun. It turns out
that UCL students are pretty alright. Shocking, I know. :P Seriously, it was really lovely to meet them, they seem like great people, and to have Pomona or UCL or whoever spot us some drinks was suh-WEET! It turns out that Guinness isn't as bad as I previously stated. I mean, it may have been the two pints of hard cider tasting...but the pint of Guinness I had was quite enjoyable. No more stupid faces or gagging. Yay!

I woke up on Saturday with the uncomfortable sensation of my hips and legs protesting all of the walking that I've been doing. With the exception of the unfortunate feet incident (which was admittedly very unfortunate) the increased walking around hadn't really been a problem for me. I've actually really enjoyed it. However, it all kind of hit me Saturday morning and I decided to bum around my dorm area for the day. I panicked a little, thinking of how much I want to see and do before my time here is up, but I think staying in for a day was the right decision. No more unpleasant stiffness. I felt so ooooooooooooooooooooold, but now it's all good. :)

Today I went for a run in Hyde Park! I passed Buckingham Palace around 10:45ish and was perplexed to see a bunch of people milling about the front. I ran three miles in the park itself (so so so pretty) and then as I was walking back I got to see the Changing of the Guards! I forgot that happens at 11:30 everyday. I had not yet had the distinct pleasure of seeing it so today was a delightful surprise. It turns out there is really nothing better than coming back from a run and seeing these guys marching towards the palace (this isn't my picture, I found it online; next time I'll hopefully bring my own camera):
I want a hat like that. Seriously, they have the COOLEST hats ever. I'm not going to lie, as a former orchestra student, I've always had a certain amount of distain for marching bands (take THAT bandies!), but these dudes are awesome. They also had impressively shiny shoes. Well done, sirs and madams. (Quick note: I should probably admit that band was way more intense than orchestra. I realize that musically and perfomanc...ally band was definitely more legit than orchestra. Hell, I was in orchestra for the international trips. But unjustified rivalries are fun! Right guys? Speaking of which...suck it, Madeline, our blivalry is still TOTES on.)

Other than that I've been chilling again today. I purchased a can-opener for a mere £1.80 which I was unjustifiably proud of and consequently used in the making of a yummy tuna and cheese sandwich. I considered walking down to UCL to go do dinner in Chinatown with Pomona folks but I'm still kind of tired. Also, Meredith was awesome and lent me her copy of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" which I have been devouring. I had forgotten how much I love crime fiction. It made me nostalgic for my Agatha Christie days. Oh dear, now I'm thinking of the rather silly Doctor Who episode with Agatha Christie. Oh man, now I really miss Doctor Who. Sadface.

I also saw two miniature schnauzers today. I'm rather looking forward to the day when seeing them doesn't break my heart a little. I mean, it passed fairly quickly-London is an excellent distraction-but I miss Zoe. More than I think I care to admit.

Anywho, I should go to bed. Early rising to get to class tomorrow! Woo hoo!!!

Much love and cheers!

1 comment:

  1. omg this is like a blog post written by an ADD sufferer. Good job, you are that much closer to being Allie Brosh.

    PS Marching Band >> Orchestra >:D

    ReplyDelete